Typically, healing from sex addiction, porn addiction, and paired substance/sex addiction presents challenges that can’t be dealt with solely in one-on-on therapy. In fact, most sex, porn, and chemsex addicts require external reinforcement and support from fellow recovering addicts if they hope to permanently change their deeply rooted patterns of behavior.
Addiction focused group therapy, 12-step meetings, online webinars and discussion groups, and other social support groups can be extremely helpful in this regard.
In sex, porn, and chemsex addiction group therapy, a treatment specialist generally works with six to ten same-gender addicts. Dr. Robert Weiss strongly believes, based on nearly three decades of experience treating these disorders, that mixed-gender groups tend to struggle with peer support and ongoing sobriety, while same-gender groups, even with a mix of sexual orientations, tend to work very well. Generally, addiction focused group therapy lasts 90 minutes or two hours per session.
Sex, porn, and substance abuse 12-step meetings, online webinars, and online discussion groups are sometimes mixed-gender, and they tend to have a looser format with as much socialization (aka, fellowship) as recovery work. That said, plenty of these meetings are ‘stag’ or ‘women only,’ so if you (or your betrayed partner) feel more comfortable with that type of setting, you can certainly find it. Generally, 12-step meetings, online groups, and similar support groups are either one hour or 90 minutes in duration.
Group settings work for recovering sex, porn, and chemsex addicts on a number of levels.
- Addictions keep addicts apart from rather than helping them become a part of. Group therapy, 12 step meetings, and the like help addicts break through this and to feel less alone and emotionally isolated.
- Group settings provide addicts with external reinforcement, support, and accountability for staying sober.
- Group settings help sex, porn, and chemsex addicts learn that their problems are not unique, which goes a long way toward reducing the shame associated with their behaviors.
- Group settings are the ideal place to confront the denial that is so integral to all forms of addiction, including sex, porn, and chemsex addiction. Such confrontations are powerful not only for the addict being confronted, but for the addicts doing the confronting. In this way, everyone present learns how justification, minimization, and rationalization sustain addiction.
- Group settings are where sex, porn, and chemsex addicts learn which interventions and coping mechanisms work best based on other members’ experiences.
- Group settings are where addicts learn that helpful support and direction are available from many caring people, not just a primary therapist or a lone accountability partner.
At Seeking Integrity, we are strong believers in the power of group recovery. In fact, group settings, including online webinars and discussion groups, are integral parts of the daily regimen in all of our treatment programming. To learn more, call us at 747.234.4325 or email us at this link.